Thursday, 7 July 2016

Film Analysis

The Conjuring 2

The first film I decided to analyse is a Horror movie called The Conjuring 2. This links to my short film idea because it is a Horror as well. This is effective because I can look at the conventions that are usually portrayed in horror films and use them for myself. The first convention that is used in this movie is the fact that whenever something scary is going to happen they then edited in music to raise tension for the audience. For example, in a scene we see one of the children go upstairs where it is dark the editor edited in music to build the tension to the jump scare. This technique is effective because it adds tension to an already tense segment. I can use this in my film by having dramatic music playing before the actual jump scare this will add tension which will make the jump scare even scarier.


















The Other Side of The Door

The second film that I looked at was the The Other Side of The Door. This links to my short film because it is a horror movie as well. This is effective because I can look at the conventions usually portrayed in horror films and use the ideas for myself and covert them so I can appease my audience. The first horror convention that I noticed in this film is that there is no noise when a jump scare is about to occur. For example, whenever we had a personal overview (POV) shot of a character the music would stop before there was a jump scare. This is effective because it adds effect as you feel like you are experiencing the horror first hand. I can use this type of horror in my film by showing POV shots of jump scares just before they happen. This is effective because it will feel like the audience is experiencing the horror first hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment